While there is really no difference between your home page and any other pages in terms of functionality, there always needs to be a home page for your site to function and have a page hierarchy starting point.
Home pages a.k.a. cover pages are bold landing pages used to make an enticing introduction to your website. This is also the most visited page on the website, by both users and search engines.
TIP: It is a good idea to test your load speeds after you have created a page, as the ideal load time should be around 3 seconds or less, and pages that are very image or video heavy can increase load times. Click here to learn more about working with page speeds.
To Add a Page
- Go to ‘Page Editor’ on the Header
- Right Click on ‘Home’
- Select ‘Add’
- or click the 'Add new page' button at the bottom of the left hand column
- Enter Page details and Select a Layout. When selecting a layout, think of these as a faster starting point for how your page may look, but not the only way they can look. Click here to learn more about modifying and creating different page structures.
- From the bar above the page elect:
- 'Publish‘ to make the page be available to show on the front end.
- 'Show On Menu’ to show on your site menu
- Click Save
This page is now an index page and will appear on the site menu.